Dentures or Dental Implants
Missing teeth can present a wide range of issues. Not only is it detrimental to your confidence, but you can feel as though it has an impact on your overall appearance, too. However, there are some options out there if you’re missing teeth, two of which are dentures and dental implants. If you’re not sure which road you should take towards getting your perfect smile back, we’ve broken down some of the main differences between the two here.
For more information or to speak to our dedicated dentists in Lincoln Park, Chicago, click here.
What are dentures?
Dentures are prosthetic devices that can be removed and put back into place to suit your needs. Whilst some people will have pretty negative memories of dentures – after seeing them floating in a glass by their grandparents beds, for example – these old ideas of dentures shouldn’t haunt you. In fact, a great deal of innovation has transformed the experiences of denture users.
Things that aren’t true about dentures:
- I’ll slur my speech – well-fitted dentures won’t make you slur your speech, and you won’t feel as though they are loose in your mouth. When fitted properly, they won’t have a negative impact on your conversations with others.
- They will fall out – if dentures are fitted properly, there is very little risk of them falling out or causing discomfort. The professionals at Polished Chicago have extensive backgrounds in creating well-fitted dentures, so get in touch with us for a free consultation.
In truth, dentures aren’t for everybody. However, they do provide an easy, effective solution to missing teeth, and having them fitted is pain-free. They are also inexpensive when compared to other dental options, and with constant developments in design and fitting, people won’t even be able to tell that you’re wearing them. Some patients, however, don’t like the fact that they are removable, but this is all down to personal preference.
What are dental implants?
If you’re not too convinced that dentures are right for you, then dental implants may be a better option. Dental implants are surgically placed in the jawbone with titanium screws, offering a permanent solution to missing teeth. As they are non-removable, dental implants allow you to feel as though you have your ‘normal’ teeth back again.
Positives of dental implants:
- Dental implants offer a permanent solution to missing teeth, allowing you to feel comfortable with your smile.
- They feel natural and healthy, like normal teeth.
- Dental implants will improve your overall oral health.
- They are durable, and it will be easy for you to eat and talk normally.
Of course, dental implants are a little more complex, and require a thorough consultation from your dentist. Though they offer long-term solutions, your dentist will need more time to discuss the possible options with you if you’re thinking about opting for dental implants.
At Polished Chicago, we offer free consultations in our Lincoln Park clinic, and help prospective patients through the entire process. If you’d like to find out more about dentures and dental implants in the Lincoln Park area, then call us at 773-697-9861 or contact us here.