Cosmetic Dentistry vs General Dentistry
While looking for a dentist, you have likely come across these two terms: cosmetic dentistry and general dentistry. As the name implies, there is a difference in the services offered by both kinds of dentist, those some dentists provide both kinds of service. Here, we’re going to explain what each means, and help you find the one that best fits your needs.
What is General Dentistry?
Simply put, general dentistry is the kind of service that is all about protecting and strengthening your smile, and treating issues related to pain, tooth decay, and oral hygiene. A lot of general dentistry is preventative, cutting down the risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth loss before they happen. However, it also includes ways to treat the damage caused by tooth decay and poor oral hygiene. A general dentist may also be able to perform some of the most basic cosmetic procedures, as well.
Examples of General Dentistry Services:
- Deep cleanings: These cleanings are done specifically to get rid of plaque and tartar that can build up on the teeth over time. As such, they can help keep your mouth clean and healthy.
- Fillings: If tooth decay has taken hold, then the dentist will clean out the hole, and install a filling to seal it back up.
- Crowns: If a tooth is heavily damaged, then a crown may be installed over the base, acting as a replacement tooth.
- Root canals: This is a treatment used to clean out and treat serious dental infections, and may also necessitate a crown after.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
As the name implies, cosmetic dentistry includes a range of treatments that are designed to enhance the appearance of your smile. Most cosmetic dentists are also thoroughly trained and equipped to provide general dentistry treatments as well. Sometimes, cosmetic dentistry can cross the line into restorative dentistry, as it can include anything from whitening your teeth to installing new teeth.
Examples of Cosmetic Dentistry Treatments:
- Dental implants or bridges: These are two types of artificial replacement teeth that help restore and complete your smile, even if you’re missing several teeth or they are heavily damaged.
- Dental bonding: This treatment involves attaching tooth-colored resin to your teeth with a high intensity light and can help treat and repair decayed, chipped, or cracked teeth.
- Teeth whitening: This treatment involves cleaning your teeth then using a whitening agent that can help brighten up your smile and lighten it by several shades.
- Porcelain veneers: These are thin ceramic covers that can be attached over and bonded to your teeth. They can offer a natural white cover for discolored, misshapen, or chipped teeth.
General and Cosmetic Dentist Near You
If you’re looking for a cosmetic and general dentist in the Lakeview area, then Polished Dental Studio could be precisely who you need. Our experienced, trusted team has helped countless people protect their teeth with general dentistry, and have brightened many a smile with top-of-the-line cosmetic treatments today. Don’t hesitate to contact us.